Red Velvet Sugar Cookies
(Recipe by Allie Roomberg -Baking A Moment) Adapted for cookie molding
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
4 ounces cream cheese (half a brick)
1 cup granulated sugar 1 egg yolk, large
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon red food coloring (liquid)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the butter, cream cheese, and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat on medium-low speed until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Add the egg yolk, vanilla, and food coloring and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula, then add the flour, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt.
- Mix on medium-low speed until a stiff dough forms (about 30 seconds to 1 minute).
6.Wrap the dough in plastic wrap to chill in the fridge at least an hour before molding cookies. The dough can still be a little sticky so a little dusting of powdered sugar or flour in the mold cavity helps it release cleanly.
- Bake for 12 to 16 minutes, or until set around the edges but still a little soft towards the center.
- Cool completely before decorating.