Red Velvet Sugar Cookies
Recipe by Allie Roomberg -Baking A Moment
Adapted for cookie molding
For best recipe results weigh ingredients and use a stand mixer.
If you find the dough is sticking in the mold, dust the cavity with powdered sugar or flour (tapping out the excess) each time before adding dough.1 cup unsalted butter/2 sticks (approx. 228 grams)
1. Place the butter, cream cheese, and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat on medium-low speed until smooth (about 1 minute).
2. Add the egg yolk, vanilla, and food coloring and mix on medium speed until combined.
3. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula, then add the flour, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt.
4. Mix on medium-low speed until a stiff dough forms (about 30 seconds to 1 minute).
5.Wrap the dough in plastic wrap to chill in the fridge at least an hour before molding cookies. The dough can still be a little sticky so dust powdered sugar or flour in the mold cavity, tapping out excess before molding to help it release cleanly.
6. Bake at 375 F on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat for 8 to 16 minutes, or until set around the edges but still a little soft towards the center. Baking time depends on thickness of cookie. Turn cookie sheet halfway through baking time.
7. Cool completely before decorating.